Friday, April 30, 2010

Watch a Tornado One Day, Go To The Beach The Next!

On Saturday morning there was a huge storm!! It definitely feels more like the rainy season now because the weather is cooler, it is overcast a lot more often, and we have had a few rain storms in the last week. Yes, overcast here is still like 30°C but it actually does feel cooler. This morning the wind was extra strong so we were standing by the front door and watching it. So many things were being blown up and down the street!! And then it started pouring rain and when it rains here – it rains!!! The rain comes down in a sheet and the raindrops are huge!! As we were watching all this happen, Jamie said that it looked like a tornado. And it really did!! We didn’t actually see a tunnel but they way things were being blown around, it definitely looked like a tornado. And then we were talking about this storm a few days later with the DRIME Benin leaders and they said it really was a legit tornado!!! So we were actually in a tornado!!!! Crazy, eh?!!

On Sunday we had our last practice with the drama team at our church. We are taking a break before the official DRIME team starts in June so we can do some recruiting and spend more time training the leaders. We wanted to thank them for their interest in DRIME and for keeping a team going over the last 10 months so we planned a little party. We went through the dramas that they know and then we played a game. We taught them Four On A Couch and they really enjoyed it!! Some of them were very intense with their strategizing! :) And then we showed them a slideshow of pictures that we had put together – pictures from the last 3 months and from the time the DRIME team was here in May. They so enjoyed seeing all those pictures!! It was so fun to watch them watch the slideshow! So it was a really great way to end our time with that church’s drama team and hopefully they will all join the official DRIME team in June!!

Thursday was Beach Day!!! Janna and I went to Obama Beach with some of our friends – Olivier, Martin and Calixte. We built a sandcastle (and our friends had to call it the DRIME castle), we swam in the waves (which were actually pretty strong that day), and a couple of us spent time just lying on the beach reading (yes, I was definitely one of these people). :) It was a funny feeling because there were moments when I felt like I was just at any beach, but then there were moments when it really hit me that I was swimming at a beach in Africa!! I wasn’t in the Pacific Ocean like I would normally be in at a beach back home....I was in the Atlantic Ocean!! I was on African sand!! I always like it when these realizations hit me because it reminds me how blessed I am to be here and how I need to soak it all up now while I can!! Especially since I leave in 2 weeks!!!

That is one thing that is only starting to sink in now – that I go home in 2 weeks! It is definitely bittersweet! I am soooo excited to see everyone back home and get back to “normal” life (not that life is ever really normal). :) I really miss my family, my friends, my small group girls, my church, my work and everything else so it will be great to come home!! But I am definitely gonna miss being here! I’m gonna miss Benin, the African culture and pace, my new friends, and Jamie and Janna!! I guess I’m just lucky to have 2 places that I love so much!! :)

Praise Items and Prayer Requests
o Praise God for the good health that we have been having! Please pray that that would continue!!
o We have 3 recruiting appointments this weekend – pray that everything goes smoothly and that there is a lot of interest in DRIME
o Pray for me as I start to think about leaving here, going home and adjusting back to “normal” life
o Michele and Abby (from DRIME) leave for Benin on Monday – pray that they finish everything they need to get done in these last few days and pray that they have safe travels

No comments:

Post a Comment