Thursday, April 8, 2010

Celebrating in Cotonou...and One More Quirk! :)

“Il est ressuscité! Il est vraiment ressuscité!!” or..... “He is risen! He is risen indeed!!”
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!! I hope you had an awesome and relaxing long weekend! Easter was a little different for me this year because I wasn’t with my family, but it was fun to celebrate it in a different culture! The Easter Sunday church service was soooo full of joy!! There was lots of dancing and shouting out to praise God! The service went extra long but I hardly noticed because it was so inspiring to see our church so alive and joyful in proclaiming the news that our Saviour lives!! They don’t celebrate too differently than we do but they seem to put more of an emphasis on Easter church activities than Easter family time.

Guess what we found at the supermarket....crêpe mix!!! I was soooo excited!!! We decided a while ago that it wouldn’t be worth it to buy ingredients like flour or baking soda because we aren’t able to bake enough to use it all. So we haven’t been able to make pancakes or things like that. But Tuesday morning I was able to make crêpes!!! Thanks to Aunt Patty who would always make crêpes for us and who taught me how to make them!! :) THEY WERE SOOOO GOOD!!!! I definitely ate too much that morning but I know if I had stopped earlier, I would have regretted it!!

On the list of things that we are learning to never take for granted, we can add electricity! The power goes out at least once a day...sometimes for an hour, sometimes for the whole day. Last Thursday, for example, we were out of power for the whole day. For most of the day our whole neighbourhood had no power but then everyone’s power came on except for ours...including the apartment right beside us! So we guessed that there might be something wrong... :) Turns out our electricity actually wasn’t working and our landlady had to call an electrician to fix it. The power still goes out every day but we are learning to live with it! We don’t mind having no lights but it is EXTREMELY hard to live without our fan!!!!

I'm still loving it out here!! And I really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers!!! I can definitely feel them even across the ocean! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment