Thursday, February 25, 2010

It Kinda Feels Like Home!

Well, I have been here for 2 weeks now and it actually feels like I’ve been here longer. Definitely not because I’m bored (that is not a problem at all), but because living here is starting to feel normal! We are falling into our own routine now and starting to figure out our way around. Even our sleeping patterns are starting to become more normal! I’m the same here as in Canada – I’m a night person and can stay up pretty late but I’m really not a morning person! Janna is like me but less extreme at night, and Jamie is the complete opposite – he gets sleepy early and then always wakes up really early in the morning!

On Saturday we had a very full day!! We woke up a bit earlier to wash our laundry for the first time! And as you may have guessed...we didn’t use a washing machine. That’s right...we washed our clothes with our bare hands and a bucket!! I bet our parents are gasping right now! Haha!! It really wasn’t that bad – it was actually nice to have our hands in cold water for an hour! And we were up on the roof where it is much cooler and there are clotheslines. The lady who owns our apartment building made a bigger deal out of it then we did! She was shocked that we would wash our own laundry and kept offering to call the person she gets to wash her clothes. But I want the full experience of life here!!

We left our clothes up there to dry on the clotheslines and returned to our apartment. And we decided to finally decorate our place! Jamie brought a big Canadian flag and Janna brought a large map of the world, so we put both of those up. And then all of us brought pictures of our friends and families so we created a “Friends and Family” wall and put all of them up! It looks really good and feels more like home now!!

After decorating, Jamie found a game on my computer called Jewel Quest Solitaire. It is a version of Solitaire but with a lot of other components and a mystery that you have to help solve. It sounded interesting so he and I started playing it. Well...we ended up playing it for a couple hours!! It would get so intense and we really got into it!! Haha!! But it turns out I only had the trial version on my computer and we used up all our time! So I would have to buy it to keep playing! We were sooooo disappointed!! Hahaha!!

We ended the day like we end most days – watching the TV show LOST! I brought all 5 seasons on my computer because none of us have seen the whole series but really want to. We’ve all been told that you have to start at the beginning of the series and watch it in order all the way through so you can understand what’s happening, so we figured this would be a great time since we actually have the time to watch a full series! And it is soooo good!! We are definitely on the edge of our seats for most of the episodes!

Thank you for your prayers!! All our sunburns, Janna’s bug bites and my blisters are all doing much better!! But I want to ask you to continue praying for a couple things:
o Continued health and safety
o Confidence for Jamie and I as we speak French and translate
o Wisdom as we choose leaders for DRIME Benin in the next few weeks



P.S. Last time I wasn't able to upload pictures so I'm uploading a bunch for you now!




Janna and I at the Paris airport






Our living room




Our kitchen



The view from our porch


One of the cockroaches we killed (no, that is not my shoe - it's Jamie's - my shoes are definitely way smaller!)
Me, Jamie and Janna at the beach after our treacherous walk! Haha!!

5 comments:

  1. I see me!! And what pretty plates you have :)

    I am glad you have found food your are comfortable with. That is one of the hardest things to get used to when you are in a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you bring home a cockroach for me? that would be stellar! sounds like your having a blast carleigh! praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Car!! great reading all your posts. So proud of how good your doing there. As much as I bugged you I knew u could do it. Definitely a little weird without you home just me and the rents. I am almost done season 2 of LOST!!! I am so hooked its amazing wow. I just wanna get lost every night hahaha. Good to see you like it too. Praying for you lots. Love your bro, Regan

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and theres more my bad. I am on a CTV commercial for the olympics!!! Crazy I know we have it taped so u can see it when u get home. I talk for like 2 seconds haha so cool! And I am taking guitar lessons and lovin it hopefully i can be decent when u get back. I think thats all if theres more i will write again bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the food is good! Praise God! Could use some more protein but that will come!

    yeah right, Josh...I'll get right on that! hahaha!!

    Regan!!!! brother of mine!! Good to hear from you! glad you've been able to read all my posts!! thanks for the confidence in me!
    I know what you mean about LOST - so addicting and soooo good!!! we're done season 4! and yeah, I've had a couple people tell me you were in a commercial!!!!! crazy!! can't wait to see it!! I'm glad you're loving the guitar lessons! Jamie and Janna have been trying to learn guitar out here too! hopefully you will write again - love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete