Thursday, February 25, 2010

A DRIME Sunday


On Sunday we went to church again and after church we attended a practice of the local DRIME team for the first time! I was so excited to see them practice the dramas!! I literally couldn’t stop smiling the whole time I watched them practice! It was just so cool to see the dramas here in a different culture and watch the team members enjoy being in them! Now I really, really looking forward to going out and doing ministry with them!!

For the first half of the practice, Janna and I pulled out one member at a time to ask them questions about their experience on this team. I was the translator so I had to ask them the questions in French and translate their answers to Janna. I was so nervous!!! There were definitely a couple times when I had to ask someone to repeat what they said or when I had to take a few seconds to formulate the French I needed. But overall I think I did okay....it’ll get better when I have more practice. Then for the last half of the practice, I observed the team and how they operate.

Back at home, when we were discussing what we observed at the practice, it hit us how difficult it’s going to be to choose leaders for DRIME Benin, especially if we aren’t supposed to choose the people who have been already leading this team over the last few months. I know God has the perfect people already chosen to lead DRIME Benin and he will reveal them to us in time, but for now it just seems like a huge task! So we are praying a lot and your prayers mean a lot as well (I know I’ve listed this prayer request like a thousand times!)!!

So I just wanted to take a moment to discuss our eating habits here in good ol’ Benin. We have been very lucky to find food that we are used to and there are a couple little street-side stores near our apartment that we can walk to. We definitely eat less here – our diet mostly consists of bread, pasta and fruit! We have a bigger meal for lunch (mostly some kind of pasta), and then for dinner we usually have baguettes with various toppings. We found a Nutella equivalent here so Jamie and I are thrilled!! And Janna found avocados so she is also happy! And pasta is both Jamie and my favourite food so we aren’t complaining!! And we never waste food because whatever Janna and I don’t eat, Jamie will! Once we all finish our first helpings, Janna and I will take anything else we still need first and Jamie will just eat whatever is left!! Hahaha!! Oh, and don’t worry – we are getting protein as well...we’ve had deli meat and chicken for a few meals.

Even though I’m having a blast out here, I do miss my family and friends back home!! I think of you guys every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment